As Media Relations Officer you play a key role in developing War Child’s brand as a networked expert organisation in the field of psychosocial support to children living with armed conflict, by delivering international and Dutch online and offline media coverage. You create authentic, unexpected and impactful concepts to share the reality and resilience of these children with international audiences.
As Media Relations Officer you are part of the Communication and Advocacy department and report to the Department’s director.
- Monitor and analyse media and identify news opportunities
- Build and boost collaborative relations with regional, national and international influencers, journalists and media organizations
- Develop, mentor and implement international media strategies
- Participate in developing thought leadership and corporate campaigns
- Create compelling stories generating online and offline coverage, by drafting press releases, producing social media content, speeches and scripts
- Advise, brief and coach War Child staff and ambassadors with media contacts in office and project countries
- Pitch, organize and moderate media events and visits to project countries
- Coordinate the crisis communications team
- Accompany media visits to the project countries.
- Higher Vocational Education or University degree in Communication, Journalism or a field directly relevant to War Child’s mission
- Min. 4 years of relevant experience in the media or in a media relations role, preferably in an international environment
- Strong news judgement and outstanding communication skills, nationally and internationally
- Strong tactical thinking combined with a hands-on mentality
- Proven ability to create or deliver impactful media coverage on complex issues
- Superior skills in writing and production of online and offline content pieces
- Ability to advise and mentor colleagues in media relations and communications best practices
- Experience in working in a creative, results-oriented environment is desirable
- Native Dutch speaker, excellent command of English language; proficiency in German language would be an asset
- Fully support War Child’s mandate and mission
- Available for 40 hours per week, starting September 1st, 2019
- EU resident or in possession of Dutch working permit.
- Salary range from €3193 to €4130 gross per month, based on 40 hours per week (the exact step determined by the years of your relevant working experience)
- 26 vacation days (based on 40 hours per week), plus 2 additional free days
- A contributory pension scheme
- Monthly mobile phone contribution of € 25,-
- Possibility to follow training and/or courses and attend War Child’s events
- Pleasant working conditions, good atmosphere, great colleagues and of course the meaningful purpose of our work!
War Child is a dynamic organization. We try to keep an informal ambiance within our office, with a lot of room for creativity, inspiration and self-initiative from employees. We practice what we preach: dynamic, innovative, integrity focused, and a drive to reach the highest possible results against the lowest possible costs. War Child Holland offers a challenging job in an inspiring workplace in Amsterdam. We work very closely with our communications colleagues in Germany and Sweden and, to a lesser extent, in Canada and the UK.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to apply before 7 July 2019. Make sure to upload your English CV (maximum of two pages) and cover letter.